Flemming Funch is a multifaceted data processing professional specializing
in leading edge Internet development, dynamic websites, human communication
and collaboration, client-server database systems, server administration,
and applications in health and medical fields.
Flemming has designed and managed several long term software
development projects, has administered an assortment of servers, networks
and dataprocessing departments, has designed a number of dynamic websites,
and is a well-known proponent of electronic community on the Internet.
He is strongly interested in human collaboration, in creating a better
future for all of us, in personal growth, and in all technologies that
leverage human creativity and allow us to live better, more easily.
Flemming is born in Denmark, lived in Los Angeles for 18 years, and is now
telecommuting from Southern France.
Mutually beneficial contract relationships and partnerships. I'm not very
likely to be interested in regular 9-5 onsite employment.
Creative and challenging software projects, preferably cutting-edge
Internet related, or webserver administration and automation projects.
Web2.0, Collaboration, Self-Organization, Knowledge Management and Web Services
would be some good keywords. Preference for projects that involve communication
with all stake holders, and the opportunity to see a project through
its whole life cycle. Preference for projects that involve creativity
and independent, self-motivated work.
Monthly: My preferred arrangement is to agree on a monthly amount that
is big enough that I will pay ample attention to our project, and small
enough that you can focus on our results, long-term, rather than on
what I did during which hour. E.g. if you want me to help you out once
in a while with servers or with programming problems, $1K might do it.
If you have a small number of servers you'd like me to administer, $2K
might do it. If you have ongoing software development needs, it would
need to be more than that.
Full Time: I don't really do that, unless it harmonizes with the rest
of my life. But in case there is a very exciting project that requires
most of my time, I can be an unstoppable workaholic, but I'd expect
to see $100-150,000/year.
Per Project: I don't do programming from specs from scratch for a price
defined in advance. That usually doesn't work well for any of the parties.
I do have some existing modules that I might configure for your use,
and we might be able to put a price on that. E.g. website portal, weblog,
bulletin board, article management, chat room, calendar, member area,
Programming Skills and Experience:
Historically: Fortran, Algol, Basic, Pascal, C, xBase, 1-2-3 Macros,
Historically: MPE, C/P-M, MS-DOS, Windows, MacOS, System/370, VMS,
Unix, Irix, Linux, Windows NT, PalmOS
Willing to work with: Linux, Mac OSX
Historically: dBase, FoxPro, Clipper, Oracle, SQLserver, Postgres95,
Willing to work with: MySQL, Postgres
SMTP, NNTP, HTTP, FTP, SSL, RSS, XML-RPC, SOAP
Historically: HP minicomputers, IBM 370 mainframes, Digital VAX minicomputers,
Z-80 micros, IBM compatibles, Amiga, Apple Macs, Cisco routers, switches
Will work with: PCs, Macs, routers, handhelds
Historically: Slackware, Debian, Red Hat Linux, Digital Unix, BSD Unix,
Windows NT, MS Mail and Exchange, Apache webservers, SendMail, Qmail,
CommuniGate, Database servers, Zope
Willing to work with: Linux, Unix, OSX
- Learned to program in 1975, while in highschool. Fortran on a HP
3000 Series II with teletype terminal and punch tape
- Owned my first computer in 1982, a Swedish ABC-80. The year later:
the original IBM PC.
- Has been online in one form or another continuously since 1983 (using
DataPak and a 300 baud modem)
- Developed websites and managed Internet servers since 1994
- Database systems for corporate networks and for websites
- Health and Insurance applications, analysis, claims processing
- Project specification, design and supervision.
- Online programming of interactive environment in PHP and Perl
- Unix/Linux server administration
Supervisory Skills and Experience
- Extensive experience interfacing with top management, accommodating
strategic requirements, making briefings and presentations.
- Excellent relations with end users. Eliciting and accommodating
their needs, training, problem solving, instruction manuals, general
- Overseeing the full life-cycle of software projects, from the recognition
of a need, through specification and planning, prototyping, implementation,
testing, and routine use.
- Coordination and supervision of a team of programmers/analysts.
Writing specs, setting up coding standards, delegating project components,
- Supervising a data processing department with support staff, operators,
data entry clerks, 24 hour operation, multiple sites, backup routines,
- Well-developed skills in coordinating and motivating large heterogeneous
groups. Understanding diversity, developing common ground, handling
conflicts, diplomacy, inviting voluntary cooperation, managing chaos.
Major Work Experience
- 2005- : SoundChilds: Membership, MLM downlines, Payment Interface.
- 2005- : CraftTV: Community website, membership, organization of local groups, payment processing
- 2005- : Union of International Associations: server administration for NGO
- 2005 : Opentopia: Portal with webcams, open directory and wikipedia clone
- 2005 : Journster: RSS feed aggregator
- 2004- : S'Amuser: Intranet for franchise operation
- 2001- : CyberJourney:
Developed online web design tool, Merlin's Studio. E-commerce, conferencing
software, weblogs, bulletin boards, contact management and more. PHP/MySQL/Linux
- 2000-2004 : Web Entertainment Group:
Wrote opt-in newsletter adminstration and mailing system, and managed
its operation on 150+ Linux servers, handling on the average 30 million
e-mail messages per day.
- 1999-2001: CyberFirm:
Developed server administration application for the intranet of an
ISP. Administering servers. Wrote automated domain management system.
- 1999: AIS America: Developing
dynamic elements, ad banner systems and security on website with 1
million visitors per day.
- 1998-1999: eVanta, LLC. Managing Partner. Designing dynamic websites
and database integration for company specializing in celebrity community
websites. Projects for IDG and Jane Seymour. Server Administration,
NT, IIS, SQLserver, CommunityWare. Custom modifications of CommunityWare
- 1998-2000 : Multimedia Metafantasies, LLC. Developed online movie
location database and casting agent actor search database. PHP/mysql/Linux.
- 1998: WebQuest, Inc. Server
Administrator. Administering high-volume web servers. 1 million hits/day,
3-400 domains. CGI programming, shell programming, Digital Unix, Apache.
Credit card processing, DNS automation, intranet.
- 1997- : Synchronicity Networks,
Inc. President. Running a Internet hosting, development and virtual
collaboration company. Slackware and Red Hat Linux servers, Apache
web servers. NT servers, Apache, Xitami & Website Pro web servers.
InterMix community software. CGI programming, mySQL database interface.
Clients: Oasis TV, PlanetView TV, Wellness Center, Metafantasies,
Global Ideas Bank, Lionel TV, etc.
- 1997-98 : UCLA. Contractor. Developing websites and administering
servers on a contract basis. "Women in Science" website for Math &
Science departments. SGI Irix, Apache. Network administration for
Johnson Cancer Research Center. NT, IIS, Exchange.
- 1997: Global Solutions Nexus. Director of a non-profit community
center and Internet service center. Event organization, web hosting,
- 1996-1999 : Oasis TV. Webmaster
and Internet Coordinator for a cable TV network. Linux, Apache, shopping
carts, bulletin boards. Designed and implemented portal website and
integrated content management database.
- 1995- : New Civilization Network.
Founder and coordinator of a non-profit idealistic, humanitarian organization
and virtual community with 7000+ members. Management, motivation,
event organization, writing custom virtual community software. Bulletin
boards, chat rooms, mailing lists, member web sites. Writing, speaking
engagements, radio appearances, etc.
- 1992-97: One Lambda, Inc.
System Analyst. Designing analysis programs for organ tissue typing,
and ordering systems. Web design. Network management. Clipper, FoxPro.
LanManager, NT and Novell network administration. Linux web server.
- 1990-92: The Clearing Institute. Communication consultant and personal
growth facilitator. Wrote several books on personal growth, translated
to Russian and German.
- 1987-1991: Galactic Computing, Inc. Running a computer consulting
business. Wrote ordering systems, inventory, telemarketing, healthcare,
taught classes and more.
- 1986-1991: Benefit Panel Services. Benefit Panel Services. System
Designer. Designed insurance claims processing system, handling 1
million claims per year. Managed a staff of 10 programmers and other
MIS personnel. Took company through a whole life cycle from no automation
to a full DP department and 100 data entry stations and multiple networked
locations. Reported to chairman of the board.
- 1990: Family Health Plans. Designed a managed health care monitoring
system on contract using Clipper on networked PCs.
- 1985-1987: California Primary Physicians. Director of MIS Research
and Development. Designing computer models for managed healthcare,
using Lotus and dBase and C. Network management, Novell, Corvus, 3Com.
Managed DP department with medical record system running on Digital
- 1983-1985: Schilling Office Systems. Teaching classes in computer
accounting systems and PC applications. Sales. Training service technicians
- 1980-1985: Funch Cleaning Systems. Proprietor of a janitorial service
company with 12 employees.
- Civil Engineering, Technical University of Denmark
- Computer Science, Kennedy Western University
- Master Practitioner, Neuro-Linguistic Programming
- Certified Clinical Hypnotherapist
- Able Toastmaster
6 rue Pedro Gailhard, 31100 Toulouse, France
05 61 44 22 64
"The things to do are the things that need doing
- that YOU see need to be done, and that noone else seems to see need
to be done."
- Buckminster Fuller -